Each successive stop is half the area of the previous stop, and therefore
lets half as much light in.  We know the area of a circle is
2*pi*r(squared).

A = pi * R1(squared)        A/2= pi * R2(squared)          known

                                         A = 2 * pi * R2(squared)
multiply by 2

pi * R1(squared) = 2 * pi * R2(squared)                        Since both
equations are equal to A, the two equations are equal.

R1(squared) = 2 * R2 (squared)                                    Factor out
pi

R1 = square root of 2 * R2                                            Take
the square root of both sides

R1 / square root of 2 = R2
Divide by root 2, and get the ratio of the stops.

D1 / square root of 2 = D2
Multiply the radii by two, to get the diameter

So, the ratio between the diameters of consecutive stops is the square root
of two.  Because in the F/stop formula, the diameter of the opening is in
the denominator, the actual f number increases by a factor of two, as the
diameter decreases by a factor of two.

John