----- Original Message -----
From: "Gregg Kemp" <gregg.kemp@???????>

> I have a set of miniature drill bits, but prefer using needles.

I agree with Gregg.   IMO, the best "drill bit" is a needle and I have used
drill bits to make pinholes.  My experience is that even a drill bit, which are
calibrated, in other words: we know their diameter, won't necessarily make a
hole with the same diameter, unless you have a very precise drill and drill
chuck combination (my Dremel drill mounted on drill press is not good enough).
 The only time I use drill bits is if I have to make a very "big" hole
(=>0.020"), I then make a hole with a 0.016" bit and work the hole until the
desired diameter.

> use.  But I still measure the hole as I make it.  Some good information
> sources for actually making the holes are:
>
>          The pinhole FAQ: http://www.???????/resources/FAQ/
> (just one source for FAQ)
>          Larry Bullis article:
> http://www.???????/resources/articles/poke.html
>          more by Larry Bullis:
> http://www.???????/resources/makingholes.html

Once you have the hole made or even when in the process of making it, you could
measure your pinhole with your flat bed scanner.  There are so-so instruction
on how to do that here: http://members.home.com/penate/pinsize.htm

Guillermo