Hi

I have a Microtek Scanmaker 4 scanner as well and have
been quite pleased with my results scanning B&W
negatives. The trick seems to be to scan them as color
POSITIVES (the setting  is called "positive
transparencies," not color negatives and then to
invert them. Microtek in Japan suggested this to me
when I was frustrated and disappointed with my
results, and really works. Makes a world of
difference.

Most of the later material on my pinhole site (you can
ue the URL below if interested) was done this way
(some of the earlier stuff was done with a Minolta
Quickscan 35, which gave very nice results, but was
limited to 35mm). Underexposed negatives give this and
any scanner their toughest time, but with most
negatives I have been quite pleased. Most of the stuff
on the site is 4x6.5CM negatives. Obviously, the
bigger the better, but quite a few of these are 35mm
as well.

http://www.sonic.net/~talcroft/PinholeSite/

Colin

Hope this helps