Thanks to both of you who responded so quickly and optimistically. I'll ask
my friends in the labs to try it out.

The problem (around here they call them "opportunities") we're looking at is
video guiding remote work in high radiation fields.
Most lens materials are adversely affected by the radiation and turn dark
(usually brown) within a short time (days or weeks).
I can shield the electronics to last a reasonable amount of time, it would
be nice if I could get away from lenses too.