Jeff,

I've had a Microtek Scanmaker 4 for a year or two and have been very pleased with what it can do with film. It combines a conventional flatbed above the scan light with a transparency shelf below the scan light. In the software you pick whether you scan above or below. For the transparency shelf, you get a glass holder with the scanner, and there are optional glassless holders for 4x5, 120, 35 film, and 35 mounted slides. I not only scan 4x5's for the web, but also down to 35mm for the web. I also scan 4x5 negatives and transparencies for making up to 13 x 19 inch prints which I prefer over my chemically processed prints of the same negatives. The scanner and printer were a bit pricey, but have replaced my 4x5 enlarger. I believe Agfa has a similar model to the Scanmaker 4, and there may be newer models and other brands now, but I'm not aware of them.

- Gregg

Pinhole Visions at http://www.p at ???????