>> I'll take another look at Nemo's book.  I just have not read all of the
>> 400+ pages yet ;-)
>
> the sections you want are towards the end (of course) :)

and REALLY thank you for THAT pointer ;-)

> Ah - that is a bit of a tricky problem.  I think a prefix to give you
> typed files is one way of doing it.  I've been doing something similar
> in a multipipe file system I've been working with.  Since offsets
> don't really make sense for pipes, I use ~0 as a marker for header
> information (which includes type).

do you mean in the data, or in the file name space (ie var1 is for data
while ~0var1 is for type info).  Hmmm... I'm not sure what you mean here.

> Depending on the semantics of
> what you are doing, you could do something similar which would allow
> you to remove header info for normal reads and writes (offset 0) and
> include them for "special" reads and writes (offset ~0).  This is, of
> course, a hack.

I had thought about using a . or ~ prefix for the type info, but that
seemed so messy and I was hoping I could figure out a way to use the
handshaking method.

> Another option would be to deploy something like
> protocol buffers on top of the files, but that is likely too
> complicated for your needs.

I think protocol buffers are probably WAY overkill, but that is a trick to
put in my back pocket for a later date if the need arises -- which I hope
it will not ;-)

Thanks again,

  EBo --