On 08/04/14 11:58, Jens Reuterberg wrote:
Well the issue is that we have to start being careful what gets crammed in and
if too much is crammed in how to hide it away.
The point is that too many options visible would be problematic since the main
point of a login is to have a place to pick user and to write in passwords.
I think that having the layout selection somewhere on the login screen is crucial as well.
Actually not just the layout, but the layout *and* the variant.
For some foreign users, this would be helpful to actually login. I'm glad that sddm finally provides that option.

Actually, I think that in this case, there is a pragmatic solution. In [1], there is a language selector. This could be used to actually show a dialog where you can pick language, layout and possibly even the time zone without crowding the interface. But to make this choice more obvious, the button should show a flag like the keyboard selector usually does.

We could cheat and use an "advanced" button - but thats not really a very
elegant solution unless done carefully.

Oh and I did a really messy wireframe animation for the fade-to-desktop/splash
animation where we build on the login screen. Just as an example of way to
integrate the two.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xt24ay5c444xzk2/test.mp4
I like how it "opens" to reveal the plasma session, but I don't like the effect before. For me that's just a bit too much animation. If you could do just the second one, I would like it more. ;-)
It would be possible to use the login screen layout for this.

On 05/04/14 00:32, Andrew Lake wrote:
> Hope this is helpful and please let me know if there are any questions,
> Andrew Lake
I don't like the background, but that's just a matter of taste. I do like the layout, though. Two questions:
- What about accessibility?
- What about hidden users (meaning users that are not shown on the login screen but may still login)?

Anyway, keep it up. This is certainly a good improvement over the past login screens. :-)

Best Regards,
Bernd

[1] http://wstaw.org/m/2014/04/06/login_with_session_and_language.png