I like the idea of plone's bootrap.py that install plone

I have not understood what you want to cover about the system dependencies.
Do you install missing dependencies ? Warn the dev of missing stuff ?

Also using python to install python is quite disturbing (thinking of
buildout.python)

I often show how I setup a computer to be Plone ready (dev purpose only).
 For me it means having good python (2.4 & 2.6) with all system
dependencies (libjpeg, zlib, libxml, libxml , *-dev) + a buildout for tools
(https://github.com/toutpt/mypythontools -> default.cfg, .gitignore, ...)

Next to that you are ready to use buildout provided by addons or do a new
buildout 5 seconds and installing a plone is like type bin/buildout -N and
having a plone in 10 seconds because you already have it in the user's
eggs-directory, so you can work on your addon, theme, ...

Regards / Cordialement,
JeanMichel FRANCOIS