On 12 March 2012 17:01, Héctor Velarde <hector.vela...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/03/12 11:38, Martin Aspeli wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure that's true anymore. It's disturbing because of cruft in
>> global site-packages. plone-devstart uses virtualenv to isolate the
>> buildout used to execute Python.
>>

> I think virtualenv is not needed at all.
>
> Buildout has include_site_packages and allowed-eggs-from-site-**packages
> options to accomplish this in a better/cleaner way, but seems nobody is
> using them at all:
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/**zc.buildout/1.5.2#virtualenv<http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout/1.5.2#virtualenv>
>
> does anybody tested this on Windows? :-)

Buildout does in version 1.5.2. That is not the version Plone 4.1.4 (see
http://download.zope.org/zopetoolkit/index/1.0.5/ztk-versions.cfg).

If and when we have a reliable way to do this with standard Plone versions,
let's do it. I'd strongly welcome a PLIP to upgrade Plone's buildout
version, but until that's commonplace, we need this type of isolation.

The PIL install approach is related, by the way. Since Plone doesn't depend
on PIL, we'd need it to be managed by buildout. Right now it's commonly
installed 'globally' so what's what plone-devstart does.

Martin