On 2009-02-02 12:50-0800 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> The [libqsastime] build and test code all work fine for me on Debian testing.
>  However, I
> need volunteers to deal with the visibility issues, windows build, etc.

Here is some further libqsastime news as of revision 9455.

The visibility issues have now been solved following what was done
for the csiro libraries and the result works on Linux at least.
Also, Andrew has changed libplplot to use the libqsastime
time formatting function which is exercised by example 29.

Today, I renamed all files using the mapping MJDtime ==> qsastime.  I also
split qsastime.c (nee MJDtime.c) and qsastime.h into the essential part
(still called qsastime.[ch]) that we need (three key functions and their
helpers), and a part (called qsastime_extra.[ch]) that has inessential code
for our needs but which is useful for helping to test libqsastime. Currently
qsatime.c is built into the libqsastime library and qsatime_extra.c is built
as part of the qsastime_test executable.  I prefer this factoring of the
code because from now on I want to concentrate just on the code in qsatime.c
since that is what PLplot will be using.  The refactored code still gives a
good library build that gives good example 29 results. The qsatime_test code
also appears to work well (except for a locale issue [8 hours out
corresponding to my time zone] I discovered with the %s formatter for the
comparison Linux strftime routine.)

My immediate further plans at this stage are to directly test the three key
functions (setFromUT, breakDownMJD, and strfMJD) currently in libqsastime
against their closest Linux counterparts (timegm, gmtime, and strftime) for
the complete range of valid Linux times (if that range is only the
1901-12-13 through 2038-01-18 that is normally quoted for 32-bit systems) or
something larger than that 32-bit range if a larger range of Linux times is
available on my 64-bit system. I plan to use independent source code named
qsastime_testlib.c for this task so as not to interfere with the current
qsastime_test.c code. I plan to locally force the zulu locale following the
advice in the timegm man page to make the comparisons independent of Linux
locale issues (such as the above %s Linux result). It's possible leap
seconds will also be an issue on the Linux side of the comparison (see the
horrible history of Unix time in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time),
but I have svn committed all the data on those (see tai-utc.dat) so I should
be able to deal with such issues if they come up in the comparison.

I will quit there about plans I have put together for the remaining
development since those might change depending on the results of the tests.
But to summarize my feelings at this stage, I am quite positive about the
prospects of fully integrating libqsastime into PLplot with specific
additions to the public API for libplplot so we end up indirectly depending
upon a well-tested libqsastime for all time-related plotting activity in a
cross-platform way.

Speaking of cross-platform, it would be good if OS X and Windows developers
did an ordinary PLplot build to make sure that libqsastime gets built
automatically and without build errors as part of that process.  If no build
errors occur for those platforms, further testing of example 29 (to
indirectly test strfMJD) and running lib/qsastime/qsastime_test in the build
tree is requested.