In the process of investigating cmap issues Alan and Werner were
discussing I have found that the xcairo driver no longer works on my
PowerPC OS-X box, and instead fails with a "Bus error". The other cairo
drivers such as the ps and png drivers work fine. I just updated to
Cairo 1.8.8 and that did not seem to rectify things. Maybe I have too
old a version of X11? Perhaps it has something to do with the off-screen
rendering changes?

pkg-config --modversion cairo
1.8.8

uname -a
Darwin hazen-babcocks-imac-g5.local 8.11.0 Darwin Kernel Version 8.11.0:
Wed Oct 10 18:26:00 PDT 2007; root:xnu-792.24.17~1/RELEASE_PPC Power
Macintosh powerpc

X11 1.1.3 - XFree86 4.4.0

-Hazen