Hi Hazen:

Your comment below got me thinking about this new subject.

On 2009-09-03 10:07-0400 Hazen Babcock wrote:

> Since this [command-line parsing] issue has been around for years and I'm the
> only one who seems to struggle with it I'm not inclined to delay the
> release until it gets sorted out.

On the whole, I prefer to stick to release dates once we set them, but in
this case of four (!) issues that affect our premier devices it may be
better for us to back off and release a week later instead depending on
whether there is a good chance an extra week would allow us to sort out
some of these issues.  Let me know what you think about this.

Here are those issues again:

(1) The above command-line parsing issue.  The valgrind investigations I
suggested for this case may allow you to find the reason for this error and
fix it in a relatively small amount of time. Do you have time to work on
this before the weekend of September 12th/13th?

(2) plend/qt segfaults on some platforms.  This one is still pretty open
ended, but Alban appears to be actively investigating it so he might
well benefit by a week's delay in the release.

(3) plend/xcairo segfaults on all (?) platforms.  Certainly, I see this
issue on my platform.  Hez, are you working on this one?

(4) locale/qt issue which have not been fixed in the best way, yet, IMO.
I believe we can find the right solution before September 12th/13th.

We all can only work on PLplot part time so a day of actual work may easily
stretch to several days of real time. So (4) is very likely to benefit from
a week's delay in the release, and some or all of the rest of the issues
might benefit as well depending on how much time our various developers have
to track down and fix these issues in the extra time provided by a week's
delay in the release. I don't think we should delay the release by much more
than a week though since if a week's part-time effort doesn't solve these
issues, then throwing more time at it may not help much either.

Hazen, would releasing during the weekend of September 12/13th be convenient
for you? If not or if you or others here don't feel a week's delay in the
release would help to solve the above issues for our best devices, then
despite those issues I would be willing to go along with the scheduled
release this weekend (September 5th/6th).