On 2009-09-03 10:07-0400 Hazen Babcock wrote:

>> On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Hazen Babcock<hbabc...@mac.com> wrote:
>>> In the process of investigating cmap issues Alan and Werner were
>>> discussing I have found that the xcairo driver no longer works on my
>>> PowerPC OS-X box, and instead fails with a "Bus error".  The other cairo
>>> drivers such as the ps and png drivers work fine.

> [...]it turns out it is has nothing to do with [...]recent changes. I've
> seen this problem before on OS-X but since I don't use my mac much these
> days for dev work I had forgotten about it. Basically, with some
> drivers, if you try and specify them at the command prompt with
> "./example/x -dev driverx" then they will give a bus error. However, if
> you just run "./example/x" and the choose the driver from the list
> everything works.

Hi Hazen:

It sounds like you have discovered (or rediscovered) an issue in the
command-line parsing code on your OS X platform.  Could you remind us again
of exactly what hardware that is (32-bit or 64-bit, PowerPC or Intel)?

I looked up bus error at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_error, and it
appears to have two general causes.  The first of those seems closely
related to segfaults and memory management and the second of these has to do
with memory alignment (which might be screwed up in the command-line parsing
code for big-endian architectures like PowerPC, but not little-endian
architectures like Intel).

Generally with all such errors I suggest you use valgrind to help figure
things out. So do you get valgrind error reports for all command-line
options or just -dev.?  If just -dev, is it for all devices or just the ones
that produce bus errors?