On 2009-10-05 15:27-0400 Hazen Babcock wrote:

> Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>> Hi Hazen:
>>
>> Would you be willing to implement access to the quartz and win32 backends
>> in
>> cairo.c? I think there is a case for having both xcairo and (say)
>> quartzcairo devices simultanously accessible on OS X (rather than just one
>> or the other) and similarly xcairo and (say) win32cairo devices on Windows
>> environments with access to X (e.g., Cygwin) in order to facilitate
>> comparisons between those different interactive backends.  However, if you
>> prefer just one (possibly renamed) interactive device with conditional
>> coding to facilitate which X, or Quartz, or WIN32 backend is used for that
>> one interactive device, that approach is fine as well with me.
>>
>> I don't want to dismiss how much work would be involved (especially the
>> testing on the OS X and windows platforms accessible to you), but the
>> project does look completely straightforward.  I assume the largest
>> difference between access to the X, Quartz, and WIN32 backends would be the
>> use of the cairo_quartz_surface_create call or cairo_win32_surface_create
>> call instead of the cairo_xlib_surface_create call (currently in
>> xcairo_init_cairo). Obviously, different headers would be required as well
>> for each backend.
>
> My recollection is that these backends were considered experimental, or at
> least they were back when I used to monitor the cairo mailing list? Assuming
> that this is no longer the case then it seems reasonable to support them.

I am glad you agree with me about supporting these backends.  I believe we
can assume they are mature by now from the following quote from
http://cairographics.org/:

"Cairo is a 2D graphics library with support for multiple output devices.
Currently supported output targets include the X Window System, Quartz,
Win32, image buffers, PostScript, PDF, and SVG file output. Experimental
backends include OpenGL (through glitz), XCB, BeOS, OS/2, and DirectFB."

That is, Quartz and Win32 are included in the list of backends we already
support with essentially no issues, and they are not included in the list of
experimental backends at the end of that paragraph.