On 2011-08-11 08:22-0400 Hazen Babcock wrote:

> I apologise for this. If I had known how much chaos getting rid of the
> ChangeLog file was going to cause I would have just left it alone, or
> overwritten it with the ChangeLog.release file.

Hi Hazen:

I believe no apologies are necessary for the filename change.  Such
changes are often desireable and should be expected.  Of course, there
are build system implications (I think that is what caught you) and
packaging implications (what caught Andrew) that need to be worked
through. But that is just part of the deal and why it is so important
to do complete testing of the release tarball before it is released
and similar caution by packagers is obviously necessary as well.

I suggest to avoid situations like this again, that you reorganize the
procedure in README.Release_Manager_Cookbook such that all changes and
testing are done with trunk. Then once trunk is absolutely perfect and
complete including all ChangeLog.release and www changes, then commit
all changes for trunk, svn cp trunk to tags with zero further changes
to that tagged area so it is absolutely consistent with trunk.  Then
create the release tarball from that tagged release area, unpack that
tarball somewhere, and do complete testing of it to be sure all is
well before actually releasing that tarball.

This outlined double-checking procedure is a bit more trouble, but it
should give you more peace of mind and prevent you having to replace
release tarballs at SourceForge in the future.