On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 10:38:39AM +0100, Andrew Ross wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:57:03PM -0700, Alan Irwin wrote:
> >

> > III. After that change
> >
> > debuild --no-lintian -us -uc -b -j4 2>&1 >| debuild.out
> >
> > failed to work.  Although debuild (and dpkg-buildpackage which it is
> > the front end for) support parallel builds with, e.g, the -j4 option,
> > and so does PLplot, it looks like your Debian packaging does not
> > support that option yet. I did notice for my last try below
> > without the -j4 option that a lot of cpu time is being consumed with
> > tests.  Assuming your debian package build rules are running something
> > like "make test_noninteractive" in the build tree, a parallel build
> > option would serve to really speed that up for individuals who are
> > trying to build the package themselves.
>
> Currently I'm running ctest to perform all the tests which doesn't
> parallelise. I should probably change to make test_noninteractive. I assume
> this will parallelise then.

Bit more complicated than that.

Of course debian/rules is a makefile so the -j option tries to parallelise
which fails because it includes multiple calls to cmake which must be
serialised. Including the .NOTPARALLEL target prevents parallelisation of
the top level rules file. Instead the -j option is passed down to the
plplot makefiles, where it works as expected. I've tested it and a parallel
build now seems to function as expected. Thanks for pointing this out Alan.

.NOTPARALLEL is a special GNU make target I'd not encountered before. Very
useful for this anyway!

Andrew