On 2011-08-10 10:02+0100 Andrew Ross wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I've been working on the Debian packaging for 5.9.8. There is a separate
> branch in svn for this. To check it out you need
>
> svn co
> https://plplot.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/plplot/branches/v5_9_8_debian
> plplot-5.9.8
>
> To build the packages on a Debian testing system do
> cd plplot-5.9.8
> ./debian/rules control
> dpkg-buildpackage -r fakeroot
>
> Alternatively you can use something like pbuilder. I use this to build
> packages for testing on a stable system. Very handy.

Hi Andrew:

Thanks for your important Debian packaging efforts for PLplot.

I tried building debs using the debuild front-end to dpkg-buildpackage,
but I ran into some issues.

I. ./debian/rules control

had some build-dependencies (quilt and slice) which I had to install.
But I only learned the hard way about those because you need the
control file configured to help debian warn you when there are missing
build dependencies. Perhaps to deal with this Chicken and egg problem
with build dependency warnings you should include the configured
control file with the svn version?

II. With control configured, debuild then informed me of a number of other
build dependencies I didn't have installed.  After addressing those
issues, debuild complained about a missing ChangeLog file.  That file
was dropped (since it was full of ancient stuff) and ChangeLog.release
added for 5.9.8, but I suspect your packaging still has some residual
references to ChangeLog that should be addressed.  To work around that
issue, I ran "touch ChangeLog".

III. After that change

debuild --no-lintian -us -uc -b -j4 2>&1 >| debuild.out

failed to work.  Although debuild (and dpkg-buildpackage which it is
the front end for) support parallel builds with, e.g, the -j4 option,
and so does PLplot, it looks like your Debian packaging does not
support that option yet. I did notice for my last try below
without the -j4 option that a lot of cpu time is being consumed with
tests.  Assuming your debian package build rules are running something
like "make test_noninteractive" in the build tree, a parallel build
option would serve to really speed that up for individuals who are
trying to build the package themselves.

IV. So then I started over, touched ChangeLog as before, and ran

debuild --no-lintian -us -uc -b 2>&1 >| debuild.out

(without the -j4 option) and that failed in the install stage with the
following message:

           rm -f COPYING.LIB *.dvi ; \
           mv ChangeLog.release changelog )
mv: cannot stat ChangeLog.release': No such file or directory
make: *** [install-arch-stamp] Error 1
dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2

I don't understand that message since ChangeLog.release is still there
at the top of the source tree.  So perhaps the package build is in the wrong
directory at that stage?

Once the above issues with ChangeLog and not being able to find
ChangeLog.release get straightened out, I would be happy to try again.
Parallel build support would also be nice but not essential.