Hi Andrew:

On 2011-10-27 09:38+0100 Andrew Ross wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 10:58:52PM -0700, Alan Irwin wrote:
>> As promised, I have now (revision 12001) implemented x00c.c and made
>> the necessary changes to incorporate this example into our build and
>> test systems.
>>
>> I deliberately kept it extremely simple for the reasons that were
>> discussed earlier in this thread.  For example, the default colour
>> scheme is used, and I only demonstrated a line plot with no symbols.
>>
>> Please try (with -DBUILD_TEST=ON)
>>
>> make x00c
>> examples/c/x00c -dev whatever
>>
>> to review what this example looks like.  Of course, also please review
>> examples/c/x00c.c for overall understandability since this example is
>> likely to be used in a PLplot tutorial.
>>
>> Within the overall constraint that we want to keep this example as
>> simple as possible, let me know if you have any suggestions to
>> change the plotted result or the understandability of the code.
>>
>> I hope this review period can be fairly short (a day or so) since any
>> individual
>> review should only take a few minutes for such simple code and results.
>>
>> Once the review period is completed, this example should be propagated
>> to other languages.
>
> Alan,
>
> The example looks fine in that it is pretty much as simple as you can make
> it.

Good.  Thanks for that review.

> I think more important (and this is Steve's point) is to have a really
> simple example of a CMakeList.txt file to build the project to help
> developers write their own.

Example x00c.c just addresses one of Steve's points which was that we
needed an absolutely dead-simple example (propagated to all languages)
to help get newbies started plotting with PLplot in the language of
their choice.

I agree another good point that Steve made (i.e., we need a simple
example of a CMake-based method of building one PLplot example against
an installed version of PLplot) has not been addressed yet. It is a
pretty straightforward task since all you have to do is copy the
existing CMake-based build system for the installed examples and
reduce it to bare essentials (e.g., only C, one example [probably
x00c.c], and no tests). I renew my call for a volunteer to implement
that since it is an excellent way to understand our existing
CMake-based build and test system for the installed examples, and it
would probably be months before I would have the spare time to do this
project myself.