On 2011-10-25 18:11+0100 Steve Schwartz wrote:

> It's a little confusing since the plplot_install directory has the main
> dll's in bin, and the drivers somewhere else. I think the problem is
> somewhere in the compile, because if I open a clean MSDOS commant prompt
> window, execute my batch script, and run the examples-compiled one it
> runs fine, whereas the one I compiled separately doesn't.

Hi Steve:

I am pretty sure from previous contacts between us that you would
prefer to make your own independent system for building your
PLplot-related applications, but I think I should at least remind
others here that we already have two recommended methods for
building PLplot-related applications.

1. This is called the traditional build system for the installed
examples. It uses a combination of pkg-config to obtain the necessary
compilation and link options and bash and make.  On Windows, this
combination only works if you have pkg-config (from the GTK+ stack)
installed and the MSYS versions of make and bash.

2. This is called the CMake-based build system for the installed
examples.  You obviously need CMake for this, and whatever tools you
used to build and install PLplot.  So this is much more general
approach than 1., and for that reason I recommend it.  To see how it
works; (i) install PLplot as usual; (ii) create an empty build
directory and cd to it (note this is a different directory than the
one you used to build and install PLplot); (iii) run "cmake" with
appropriate generator option in that build directory using the
pathname for the top-level installed examples directory, e.g.,

$PREFIX/share/plplot-5.9.9/examples

where $PREFIX is the installation prefix you used when installing
PLplot; (iv) put $PREFIX/bin on your PATH, and (v) run the build tool
(nmake in your Windows case) that corresponds to the cmake generator
that you chose to use to build the examples.

The top-level CMakeLists.txt file that controls this build is
installed in $PREFIX/share/plplot-5.9.9/examples, and it should be
completely straightforward for any user to adapt that build system
(mostly by stripping out unwanted stuff, e.g., examples in various
languages that you don't care about) to build their own C, C++,
Fortran, etc., apps against the PLplot libraries or configure
interactive language (e.g., python, tcl) examples to use the PLplot
libraries.  Of course, to modify that build system for your needs
requires some knowlege of cmake syntax or a willingness to learn that
syntax.  But that should not be a major barrier to using this method
since CMake skill is already widespread amongst developers, and if you
have no knowledge of that syntax to start with, it is an extremely
easy syntax to pick up (especially if there is a complete example
in front of you, as in this case.)