I wanted to summarize the requirements for the changes that we have been
discussing

1) Fix plmeta

2) Fix plbuf so that colormaps (e.g. plscmap0) are saved

3) Change the data type for coordinates in plbuf to PLINTERNAL (which will be
set to short for the time being)

4) Implement plot buffer output and input routines
  4.1) Have a header that identifies the data file format, endianness,
coordinate type
  4.2) Output additional state information (e.g. fonts) that allows a plot to
be rendered on a different device

5) Implement command line switches for plot buffer output (-mfo) and input
(-mfi)

6) Implement command length (this might only be needed for buffer input/output)

7) Implement shared memory access to the plot buffer

8) Fix plrender

Unresolved:

Eliminate the temporary file version of the plot buffer

or

Update the temporary file version of the plot buffer