On 2015-01-13 22:00-0500 Jim Dishaw wrote:

> 5) Implement command line switches for plot buffer output (-mfo) and input
> (-mfi)

> 8) Fix plrender

@Jim: Thanks for that summary which leads me to a question for both you
and Phil:

Just to verify I understand the broad outline of the new design and
what the -mfi option does, I assume if you had (say) a Python script
consisting of a call to plparseopts, plinit, and plend with no other
content, and you invoked that script as

python myscript.py -mfi <plmetafile name> <other PLplot options>

would that be equivalent to the new

plrender <plmetafile name>  <other PLplot options>

?

If so, the C code for the new plrender is going to be quite small (but still
worth it I believe just to avoid forcing the user to write a 3-line
script if they ever want to take advantage of the -mfi option in this
simplistic (replay plot with other device) way.