Hi Arjen:

I am changing the subject line for obvious reasons....

On 2015-01-30 09:40-0000 Arjen Markus wrote:

> [.... A]t this stage I want to stick to the receipe :)

Exactly.  And this is a perfect example why the detailed recipe is the
thing to follow.

If you decided to use

git checkout master
git pull

that is indeed exactly equivalent to

git checkout master
git fetch
git merge origin/master

But that last command is potentially dangerous and could lead to a
merge commit (if the local master has been updated in any way since
the last time you pushed from local master to the combination of
origin/master + repository).  Which is why README.developers say
to never use "git pull", and whenever you use git merge always
use the --ff-only option.

So instead of either set of commands above you should be following the
detailed recipe which is

git checkout master
git fetch
git merge --ff-only origin/master

where that --ff-only option guards against making a merge commit to
your local master branch, i.e., checks there has been no changes to to
master branch since the last time you pushed.  Also, if "git fetch" is
silent, that means your local master is already identical to the
repository master branch and origin/master so that final "git merge
--ff-only origin/master" command becomes superfluous.

> I am beginning to understand what the steps are doing and I have no
problem following the receipe as long as I understand what to expect –
less chance of me getting frustrated about it.

I am really pleased you are beginning to feel more comfortable with
git now.

Also to respond to another comment you made, git indeed takes more
commands to make a commit than svn. That's because svn has just one
built-in workflow (rebase only) while for git there are many workflow
possibilities so to choose one of them (in our case we are continuing
with rebase only) takes additional effort/commands.

So the naive conclusion just based on that git issue is everyone
should migrate from git to svn.  However, the many extra features you
get with git (such as its substantial speed compared to svn because
virtually everything is done with a local repository) make that
additional effort worthwhile, and because of those features the net
migration is from svn to git instead. So frankly I would never want to
svn users who have used git exclusively and intensively for their
development for more than a month or so.  That practice makes the
commands you need to follow the workflow just become automatic for you
so the fact that more commands are involved than the svn case just
plain doesn't register any more.