From: "Alan W. Irwin" <ir...@beluga.phys.uvic.ca>
Sent: ‎12/‎02/‎2015 01:06
To: "Phil Rosenberg" <p.d.rosenb...@gmail.com>
Cc: "Jim Dishaw" <j...@dishaw.org>; "plplot-devel@lists.sourceforge.net"
<plplot-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: RE: [Plplot-devel] Redesigned wxWidgets Driver

On 2015-02-11 21:31-0000 Phil Rosenberg wrote:

> @Alan

> The wxWidgets driver is nearly done now.

That is excellent news.

> The last part is just
putting posix named semaphores in where I have used windows named
mutexes. So I have a few questions

> 1) Do you want another patch to try before I commit to the repo.

Yes, I am in a position to give it a through testing on a Linux
platform (Debian stable) you don't have access to so we might as well
take advantage of that immediately.  Also, it looks like you and Jim
are going to end up in a virtual tie for getting wxwidgets and plbuf
done so the topic branch commits you send to me to test should include
all his commits as well.

> 2) when I commit do you need me to condense the (considerable)
number of commits in my private repo.

Short answer is no.

Note I have withdrawn my old argument about every commit being
buildable on the master branch since git-bisect scripts can avoid that
case automatically. So the only real constraint on commits is you
should try hard to keep master tip buildable (as a convenience to
others who are using master tip as well).

So I think the answer is you don't need to try squashing the commits
on your topic branch.  For example, I have not used that git
functionality so far.

> 3) as mentioned above. I am using Posix named semaphores which I
think only became available in kernel version 2.6.something. Do you
know if there is a way to check for them in CMake? If it is easy for
you to do I'd really appreciate that contribution as you know cmake so
much better than me.

Sorry, I don't know how to check for that kernel functionality, but I
don't think we need to worry about it;
<http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2007/05/24/semaphores-in-linux.html?page=1>
is an article describing the functionality that is dated 2007-05-24 so
this functionality was introduced into Linux before that date and
therefore it has been available for Linux for a very long time.

> 4) There is reference to pls->LocateEH() in the old wxWidgets
driver, however, searching with fgrep -Rl LocateEH I only found this
in plstrm.h, tek.c, tk.c and xwin.c, so I assume this callback is
defunct? If you know otherwise let me know.

Not defunct, just untested.

The xwin device is the definitive one concerning cursor
interaction so I looked up LocateEH there, and it appears all this
means is that the xwin device supports the possibility of a user-supplied
user locate mode handler, and I can see no harm to continue
supporting that possibility for the wxwidgets device driver.

Of course, our current set of examples and tests does not include a
test of a user-supplied locate mode handler, but I think that omission
should be rectified (as a low priority in e.g., examples/c/x01c.c
when locate mode is turned on) rather than dropping support of user
locate mode handlers in wxwidgets or other interactive devices.  I do
realize other interactive devices such as xcairo have ignored this
possibility, but if/when we include the capability in example 1 it
would also be straightforward to add in this interactive capability
for every interactive device that doesn't currently support this
possibility.