From: "Alan W. Irwin" <ir...@beluga.phys.uvic.ca>
Sent: ‎21/‎02/‎2015 17:45
To: "Phil Rosenberg" <p.d.rosenb...@gmail.com>
Cc: "PLplot development list" <Plplot-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Plplot-devel] Redesigned wxWidgets Driver

Hi Phil:

I am testing current master tip (c3fed1f, "Undid changes...."), but
that recent commit from you has not fixed the intermittent memory
issue.  To illustrate, here is a run of repeat attempts for standard
example 1, where the first 3 are fine, but the last one failed:

software@raven> examples/c/x01c -dev wxwidgets
PLplot library version: 5.10.0
software@raven>
software@raven> examples/c/x01c -dev wxwidgets
PLplot library version: 5.10.0
software@raven> examples/c/x01c -dev wxwidgets
PLplot library version: 5.10.0
software@raven> examples/c/x01c -dev wxwidgets
PLplot library version: 5.10.0

*** PLPLOT WARNING ***
Error creating memory map for wxWidget instruction transmission. The
plots will not be displayed

Also, example 8 generates this message every time it is run from
the command line, but if I do that under valgrind wxPlViewer is
launched properly and displays the pages of example 8 without issues (go
figure)!

Note, before wxPlViewer is launched for example 8 (which means
valgrind doesn't test that detached wxPlViewer process, and I am not
sure whether it is possible to use valgrind on a detached process)
there is one uninitialized memory error reported by valgrind;

==4718== Conditional jump or move depends on uninitialised value(s)
==4718==    at 0x6E0E566: wxPLDevice::SetupMemoryMap() (in
/home/software/plplot/HEAD/build_dir/drivers/wxwidgets.so)
==4718==    by 0x6E0F5ED: wxPLDevice::ProcessString(PLStream*, EscText*) (in
/home/software/plplot/HEAD/build_dir/drivers/wxwidgets.so)
==4718==    by 0x4E4F9A8: plP_esc (in
/home/software/plplot/HEAD/build_dir/src/libplplot.so.12.0.1)
==4718==    by 0x4E528BC: plP_text (in
/home/software/plplot/HEAD/build_dir/src/libplplot.so.12.0.1)
==4718==    by 0x4E7BB5B: c_plmtex (in
/home/software/plplot/HEAD/build_dir/src/libplplot.so.12.0.1)
==4718==    by 0x4019AA: main (in
/home/software/plplot/HEAD/build_dir/examples/c/x08c)

I would view this issue as a serious one. For example, it might
be the cause of all the intermittent failures detailed above.  Of
course, to pin down the exact source code line where this issue is
occurring, you have to compile with CXXFLAGS=-g.