On 2015-02-14 08:27-0000 Phil Rosenberg wrote:

> Hi Alan and Jim
>
> I tried applying the patches on my system and they failed too. In fact
> my patch wouldn't apply at all, even on a clean branch. It had
> whitespace errors and a commit that changed the case of a filename,
> which confused git on Windows because case doesn't matter. I have
> learnt a lesson with that one. I have attached a cleaned up version,
> based on current master.

> [...]It might be easiest to commit Jim's patch as is, then I can rebase my
> code on it and fix the clash and commit to the sourceforge repo in the
> normal way.

@Phil: I agree this is the best approach so let's proceed on that
basis (as laid out below). You are just starting your day, while
probably Jim has finished his day, and I am just about to finish my
day also.  So don't wait for us.  I just suggest you go ahead with
committing Jim's existing series of patches from yesterday to master
(after you have tested them) then your own series of patches but in
the way described below.

You have probably already thought of this, but just in case not,
I suggest you test Jim's patch series by the following steps:

1. Create a plbuf topic branch from current master tip using
Jim's existing series of patches from yesterday.

2. And similarly create a wxwidgets topic branch from current master
tip using your latest patch series.

3. Then rebase wxwidgets with plbuf (which will remove
all your commits back to master tip, apply the plbuf
commits to wxwidgets, then attempt to commit your
own wxwidgets commits on top).

This last step is where the real work is sorting out
the conflicts between your plbuf changes and Jim's.  But you
should be in a good position to do that because of your
familiarity with plbuf and the changes required (which
Jim may have already done in his series) to make plbuf
work correctly from the wxwidgets perspective.

4. Then test wxwidgets which will implicitly test the commits in the plbuf
branch
which are now part of the wxwidgets branch.

5. Then commit the wxwidgets branch (which will include
Jim's commits before yours) to master.

After that, Jim can continue to work on plmeta based on the new master
branch that includes his commits from yesterday's series, and I can
work on further testing of plmeta following what Andrew just
implemented which will help to sort out any further plbuf bugs.

Good luck with the above, and I am signing off now
until I can get some sleep.