On 2015-04-03 18:39-0700 Greg Jung wrote:

>  My Linux system has only been around a short while, I've had to
> scrap the Linux portion of my 'puter a few times.  So my initial
> load-up didn't include the less-used items.  But its no problem to
> bring them in,
> especially those I can download directly.
>
> My previous tests did not include qt, qhull, shapelib, ada, java.
> Running comprehensive_tests.sh the first time resulted in full
> success, so that my screen was teeming with wxView windows which I cut
> short.  As I bring
> more elements to the mix, I presume the failures are triggering a quit
> in the script; i.e. it hasn't appeard complete even though my build
> may be as good or better than before.

[out of order]
> I've also just installed java and that hasn't been recognized in
> cmake/plplot build.

Here is what I have done for Debian stable to solve such a java issue:

# The debian gcj-4.7-jdk package (or its dependencies) has
# some peculiar locations for java components so CMake needs
# some help in finding those.
export CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.7/include
export CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gcj-4.7-13

You may need something similar.  Note this assumes this is the
first time you export and define these environment variables (which
is why I have responded out of order).  Also, see further comments
about CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH and CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH below.

> Current status: {plplot}/cmake/FindQHULL needs modification or it will
> never bring the current qhull in.  I installed qhull from source today
> and it created a /usr/local/include/libqhull where qhull_a.h is to be
> found:
> There is also a libqhullcpp.
> Using this solves that:
> find_path(
>  QHULL_INCLUDE_DIR
>    qhull_a.h
>  PATHS
>  /usr/local/include/libqhull /usr/include/libqhull
>  /usr/local/include/qhull /usr/include/qhull
> )
>
> shapelib: CMAKE doesn't find it:
>
> modules/FindShapelib.cmake:find_path(SHAPELIB_INCLUDE_DIR shapefil.h)
> so I'll try:
> find_path(SHAPELIB_INCLUDE_DIR
>      shapefil.h
>    PATHS
>      /usr/local/include /usr/include
>        )
> message(STATUS " Tried to find SHAPELIB: ${SHAPELIB_INCLUDE_DIR}")
>
> despite the effort, it doesn't work:
>
> Tried to find SHAPELIB: SHAPELIB_INCLUDE_DIR-NOTFOUND
>
> WARNING: SHAPELIB not found. Setting HAVE_SHAPELIB to OFF.

Here is what I do to solve similar issues for finding both qhull
and shapelib:

export CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH #if not exported before (see java case above)
export CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH #if not exported before (see java case above)
# Special qhull install:
CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH=\
/home/software/qhull/install/include":$CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH"
CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH=\
/home/software/qhull/install/lib":$CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH"

# Special shapelib install:
CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH=\
/home/software/shapelib/install/include":$CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH"
CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH=\
/home/software/shapelib/install/lib":$CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH"

This technique should also work fine for you if you adjust
locations to be correct for your system.