Hi Arjen:

On 2015-04-20 11:31-0000 Arjen Markus wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>

> I added the option "-do_clean_as_you_go no" to the test script. The
result is attached. Hopefully this will shed some light on the
anomalies MinGW/MSYS is causing.

My updated script appears not to be capturing the script itself for
some reason.  I cannot spot any typographical errors with how
SCRIPTNAME is being used within the script. By any chance, have you
renamed the script without updating SCRIPTNAME to be consistent?
Anyhow, please fix whatever the problem is since the captured script
within the tarball is useful since it has tailored sections which are
useful to know for each run.

As far as the results are concerned, please look at env.out, you can
see that

PLPLOT_DRV_DIR=/d/plplot-svn/comprehensive_test_disposeable/shared/build_tree/drivers

is set there, and I presume that was not subsequently modified by the
script.

However, from the list of files all the dll's are properly collected in
the dll directory:

/d/plplot-svn/comprehensive_test_disposeable/shared/build_tree/dll

rather than the drivers directory.  Furthermore
if you look at what is actually in the drivers directory
pointed to by PLPLOT_DRV_DIR, you find a bunch of CMake and Make
files and also *.driver_info files.

At first I was going to dismiss those *.driver_info files as output only, but
now I see
in src/plcore.c there is an attempt to read them.  That process
works without PLPLOT_DRV_DIR set on my MinGW/MSYS/Wine platform
by that is required on your platform for some reason.  Typically
such PLplot file reads use several alternative methods so I
presume one of those is working here, but not there so you
have to fall back to PLPLOT_DRV_DIR.

To make further progress could you please take a look at src/plcore.c
to trace through how PLPLOT_DRV_DIR is used there for the
*.driver_info files?  I will do that as well here (somewhat later
today after I have had some sleep).

To help with that task, also run the x00 example by hand
using the -debug option.  Please mimic the script by putting the dll
subdirectory
on your PATH, execute

cd \
/d/plplot-svn/comprehensive_test_disposeable/shared/build_tree,

and make sure the example and device
driver are built using

make  x00c; make ps

Then attempt to run the built example once with PLPLOT_DRV_DIR set to above and
once
with PLPLOT_DRV_DIR set to nothing (PLPLOT_DRV_DIR=).

examples/c/x00c -debug -dev psc -o test.psc 2>&1 |\
grep -v unicode |grep -v set_font

(The grep stanzas remove lots of debug noise consisting of glyph details.)

Here is the corresponding result here on MinGW/MSYS/Wine
# Show PLPLOT_DRV_DIR not set
bash.exe-3.1$ printenv |grep PLPLOT
bash.exe-3.1$ examples/c/x00c -debug -dev psc -o test.psc 2>&1 | grep -v
unicode |grep -v set_font
plLoadDriver: Device not loaded!
plLoadDriver: tag=psc, drvidx=0
plLoadDriver: Trying to load ps on ps
plGetName: Maximum length of full pathname of file to be found is 115
plGetName: Full pathname of file to be found is
z:/home/wine/newstart/build_script/build_dir-1.6.1/epa_build/Source/build_plplot_lite\data\c
map0_default.pal
plLibOpenPdfstr: Found file
z:/home/wine/newstart/build_script/build_dir-1.6.1/epa_build/Source/build_plplot_lite\data\cmap0_default.pal
plGetName: Maximum length of full pathname of file to be found is 115
plGetName: Full pathname of file to be found is
z:/home/wine/newstart/build_script/build_dir-1.6.1/epa_build/Source/build_plplot_lite\data\c
map0_default.pal
plLibOpenPdfstr: Found file
z:/home/wine/newstart/build_script/build_dir-1.6.1/epa_build/Source/build_plplot_lite\data\cmap0_default.pal
plGetName: Maximum length of full pathname of file to be found is 115
plGetName: Full pathname of file to be found is
z:/home/wine/newstart/build_script/build_dir-1.6.1/epa_build/Source/build_plplot_lite\data\c
map1_default.pal
plLibOpenPdfstr: Found file
z:/home/wine/newstart/build_script/build_dir-1.6.1/epa_build/Source/build_plplot_lite\data\cmap1_default.pal
plOpenFile: Opened test.psc
plGetName: Maximum length of full pathname of file to be found is 109
plGetName: Full pathname of file to be found is
z:/home/wine/newstart/build_script/build_dir-1.6.1/epa_build/Source/build_plplot_lite\data\p
lxtnd5.fnt
plLibOpenPdfstr: Found file
z:/home/wine/newstart/build_script/build_dir-1.6.1/epa_build/Source/build_plplot_lite\data\plxtnd5.fnt

For completeness, I also ran the same example with PLPLOT_DRV_DIR set to the
drivers
directory, e.g.,

bash.exe-3.1$ export PLPLOT_DRV_DIR=$(pwd)/drivers
bash.exe-3.1$ printenv |grep PLPLOT
PLPLOT_DRV_DIR=/z/home/wine/newstart/build_script/build_dir-1.6.1/epa_build/Source/comprehensive_test_disposeable/shared/build_tree/drivers

but (as expected) got the exact same results.

In sum, to figure out this platform difference it is time for both of
us to start using the -debug option and dig through the code to
throughly understand how the *.driver_info files are accessed and used
with or without PLPLOT_DRV_DIR set.