On 2016-03-16 08:18-0000 Arjen Markus wrote:

> Hi Alan,

Hi Arjen:

This e-mail has a section concerning your Fortran-only Cygwin results and
a section concerning your Fortran-only MinGW-w64/MSYS2 results.

I.  Cygwin

These Fortran-only results look good for Cygwin (no errors and no
PostScript difference regressions).

I also looked for applications that were found, but which did not
belong to the Cygwin distribution (i.e., did not have a prefix of /usr
or /lib) this way:

grep '\.exe' shared/noninteractive/build_tree/CMakeCache.txt |grep -v /usr
|grep -v /lib

The answer was there were no such applications which is the ideal
result.  For example, you are using the Cygwin version of cmake.exe
which is the correct thing to do.  (I just now did the same test for
the complete Cygwin results you recently sent me, and the results were
ideal for that case as well.)

I have updated the Fortran-only results table on our wiki accordingly
for Cygwin, (see
https://sourceforge.net/p/plplot/wiki/Testing_PLplot/#Fortran%20Testing%20Reports).

II. MinGW-w64/MSYS2

These Fortran-only results look good for MinGW-w64/MSYS2 (no errors and no
PostScript difference regressions).

However, there are two issues that should be addressed.

1. ctest is dropped when it should not be.

It appears there is some left over historical artifact from your
comprehensive testing launch script that drops ctest testing by
specifying "--ctest no".  Could you please not add that unnecessary constraint
on
this Fortran-only test (and also on all MinGW-w64/MSYS2 tests from now
on).

2. Non-distribution executables.

I also looked for applications that were found, but which did not
belong to the MinGW-w64/MSYS2 distribution (i.e., did not have a
prefix of C:/msys64) this way:

grep '\.exe' shared/noninteractive/build_tree/CMakeCache.txt |grep -v
'C:/msys64'

The answer was

PERL_EXECUTABLE:FILEPATH=C:/cygwin64/bin/perl.exe
CMAKE_COMMAND:INTERNAL=D:/cmake3.4.3/bin/cmake.exe
CMAKE_CPACK_COMMAND:INTERNAL=D:/cmake3.4.3/bin/cpack.exe
CMAKE_CTEST_COMMAND:INTERNAL=D:/cmake3.4.3/bin/ctest.exe
CMAKE_EDIT_COMMAND:INTERNAL=D:/cmake3.4.3/bin/cmake-gui.exe

This Cygwin perl version is probably OK since it should still likely
produce correct results when our build system runs perl scripts.
However, these versions of cmake and friends are problematic because
some distributions (e.g., Cygwin is known to do this) may massage
those packages to deal with special issues for the distribution.  So
there will always be a question mark concerning your MinGW-w64/MSYS2
results until you use that distribution's version of cmake and friends
(and likely a very small question mark concerning the Cygwin version
of perl as well).

To address these uncertainties, I suggest you install the
mingw-w64-x86_64-cmake and mingw-w64-x86_64-perl packages. (There are
also "msys" variants of these in the MSYS2 distribution, but I believe
those should be avoided.) A one-year-out-of date list of the
mingw-w64-x86_64 and msys packages provided by MSYS2 is given at
<https://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/wiki/Packages/>.  You should be able
to generate he equivalent up-to-date list by following the pacman
instructions at the top of that web page.

I cannot do that for myself because I don't have access to MSYS2 and
its pacman installer.  But please follow those directions for your own
use, and could you send me a compressed version of that up-to-date
list for my use as well?

For now, a different web resource
(<https://sourceforge.net/projects/msys2/files/REPOS/MINGW/x86_64/>)
tells me that when you install mingw-w64-x86_64-cmake and
mingw-w64-x86_64-perl you will likely be installing cmake-3.3.2 and
perl-5.22.  The former satisfies PLplot's current requirement of a
minimum version of CMake-3.3.2 for all platforms other than Linux, and
that perl version should be fine as well.

I look forward to your next MinGW-w64/MSYS2 Fortran-only test
with issues 1 and 2 resolved.