On 2016-03-23 08:19-0000 Arjen Markus wrote:

> Hi Alan, Greg,

> It looks like the whole list I get is out-of-date - several other packages in
> my list that I checked have a lower version number too. The repositories that
> seem to be checked (assuming the files "mirrorlist.* are indeed used for
> them) contain an updated list, so something is wrong or out-of-date on my
> system, but I have no clue what. Reinstall MinGW-w64/MSYS2?

Hi Arjen:

I have no practical experience with pacman so therefore if Greg
contradicts the following advice you should pay attention to what he
says. However, if you read the pacman "man" page at
<https://www.archlinux.org/pacman/pacman.8.html> (something you should
do in any case) it appears that you need to use the -y (--refresh) option
as well as the -u (--sysupgrade) option.

>From my reading of that man page, the purpose of those two options
seems to be very close to the Debian apt-get sub-commands "update" and
"dist-upgrade".  The first of those updates the local database of
package characteristics _without installing anything_, while the
second does actual installs the latest versions of packages based on
the information in that local database. So I infer that is what will
happen for the pacman case as well.  If you agree after reading that
man page carefully, I would go ahead and try those options and not do
a complete reinstall of MinGW-w64/MSYS2 except as a last resort.

Of course, if -y works, I hope you are willing to send me
the resulting updated package list.