On 2016-12-24 14:06-0000 p.d.rosenb...@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi Pedro
>
> I hadn't realised you were accessing your machines remotely. I assumed that
> the VMs were local. Although I was accessing mu ubuntu remotely to, but using
> the cygwin x server. I'm not sure if the ubuntu bash on windows using xming
> counts as remote. Maybe this is the cause of the differences.
> However we should try to work with this somehow.

To Phil and Pedro:

Just for the record, virtually all of my results I reported were run
using an X-terminal (a zero-cost [someone threw it away in my
direction], low-power computer whose disk drive is now a USB stick)
for display, keyboard, and mouse, with the application running on a
comparatively more powerful remote computer (my wife's computer
"raven" in the same office, the 9-year old 2.4GHz box I have referred
to before). However, a couple of times I shifted to her computer and
keyboard so I was running the app and displaying on the same computer,
but that never made any noticable difference in the results.

<Semi-rant> So the classical X "network neutrality" appears to still
be working at least on Debian Jessie, although the way X has been
moving (toward Wayland, etc.) on Linux, that extremely useful network
neutrality will just be a low-priority afterthought in the future.  I
blame this bad trend on the X developers never touching or seeing
low-power boxes of any kind.  :-) </Semi-rant>