From: Alan W. Irwin
Sent: 04 January 2017 19:17
To: Phil Rosenberg; Pedro Vicente; PLplot development list
Subject: Re: Linux OnCreate delay bug -- solution

On 2017-01-04 13:04-0500 Pedro Vicente wrote:

> Hi Phil
>
> I got a good plot on CentOS, below output.
> I'll test other Linux later

>> So what I
>> would propose is that for this release we attempt to not add or remove
>> anything from the API and just stick with an example that  works with
>> what we've got. Then after this release we can add non-template
>> classes for wxFrame, wxDialog and wxPanel which can be used really
>> easily by our users and we have time to test them and make sure the
>> API for their use is stable before the next release.
>>
>> Does that seem sensible?

To Phil and Pedro:

@Phil:

The test_c_wxwidgets and test_wxPLplotDemo targets worked without
issues here.  So we now have three good tests on Linux and one good
test on Windows.  So this indeed seems promising as a solution to
this release critical bug, and I thank you for this timely
release-critical bug fixing.

@Both:

To finish off this topic for the release I need some more from both
of you.

@Phil:

1. It sounded from your description that you were changing the example
to try two different methods of generating those plots so it makes
sense that test_wxPLplotDemo now produces two identical plots for me,
but please confirm that the two plots I observed are the intended
effect.

2. Please commit a change to README.release describing what you have
done to deal with this bug equivalent to what Pedro wrote up for his
solution.

@Pedro: I think your current CentOS test is equivalent to just
building the test_wxPLplotDemo target?  Please extend that test to
building the test_c_wxwidgets target as well. You were already
planning to test Phil's solution on all the Linux platforms accessible
to you, but please do the full test (build both the test_wxPLplotDemo
and test_c_wxwidgets targets) for all Linux platforms.  And similarly
for your Windows platforms.  There, the convenient test_* targets
won't work so you will have to do the equivalent by hand (run
wxPLplotDemo and run several C examples with -dev wxwidgets). Finally,
please also test your own software projects that link with the
plplotwxwidgets library on all platforms where you expect your own
software projects to currently work.  (I assume that is just Windows,
but please test on at least one Linux platform as well if you
expect your software to work on both Windows and Linux.)

Every tested platform that you add gives us just that much further
confidence that Phil's solution is robust for this release, and I
thank you in advance for all this essential testing work for our
release.