Hi Ole:

On 2017-07-19 15:15+0200 Ole Streicher wrote:

All is fine for me after disabling [1] the mentioned tests. Since UTF-8
is one one case, I will keep the octave bindings in the 5.13.0 packaging.

I am glad that you were able to prove that non-ascii UTF-8 in the user
strings is the only Octave-4.2 issue left.

One more small issue, which I reported some time ago to the Debian
package [2]: The pkgconfig file specifies the need to link to libshp:

$ pkg-config --libs plplotd
-lplplotd -lltdl -lm -lshp -lcsirocsa -lcsironn -lqhull -lqsastime

but in fact, -lshp is not needed. It would be nice if this linker flag
could be removed here.
(and, just to be sure: at that time, the library was called
"libplotlibd", while now it is "libplotlib" without the "d", right?)

Yes on the change in library name without the suffix d.

However, the above pkg-config results are dated and come from an
era when we didn't properly distinguish the shared and static
cases.  But the above results which included -lshp were correct
for the static case although incomplete in other ways.

Here are the pkg-config results from plplot git master branch (for a
non-standard install location):

software@raven> pkg-config --libs plplot
-L/home/software/plplot/installcmake/lib -lplplot

software@raven> pkg-config --libs --static plplot
-L/home/software/plplot/installcmake/lib -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
-L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.9 -lplplot -lltdl -lm -lshp
-lfreetype -lcsirocsa -lcsironn -lqhull -lqsastime -lstdc++ -lm -lc

So for the static case we do (correctly) add in -lshp (and the rest)
because the plplot core library depends on all those libraries (for
example -lshp allows PLplot to handle maps (e.g., for standard example 19)
using the shapelib capabilities) so they have to be specifically
mentioned when linking to the static version of libplplot.

So there should be no bug for you to deal with in this modern case
(and for 5.12.0, I believe).

The only case where -lshp should not be included in the static link
line is if the PLplot build system does not find libshp.so (or
libshp.a) in which case the PLplot core library map capability falls
back to a much less useful and therefore deprecated map format.
So that is a situation to be avoided by installing libshp whenever
possible.