On 2017-07-31 07:13-0000 Arjen Markus wrote:

Here are some results from my most recent, i.e. yesterday's, testing session.

Hi Arjen:

I. The noninteractive comprehensive test for Cygwin.

* Find issues

My records indicate you last ran a comprehensive test for Cygwin on 2016-12-15.
The options for that test were the same as the present ones, and that script
was a
complete success.

So the changes from December are the wxwidgets device driver is not present and
there is also a severe regression in enabled bindings.

Is this exactly the same Cygwin system and launch script that you used before
when testing just before the release of PLplot-5.12.0?  If so, you should be
able to
replicate those good December results by switching to PLplot-5.12.0 (e.g., by
running

It appears that when you add a package to the Cygwin installation,
an update follows for all the packages that are already present. This
led to me having to adjust the location where the Ada stuff is to be
found (change in version). I also had to add a few Python packages
(transition from Python 2 to Python 3).

[...]
I have not had a look at the reason
the wxWidgets component was rejected. That is an issue for the coming
days.

To be clear, the issue is not limited to just wxwidgets.

Here is the status of disabled components of PLplot for the
current Cygwin test:

ENABLE_ada:             OFF
ENABLE_d:               OFF
ENABLE_java:            OFF
ENABLE_ocaml:           OFF
ENABLE_octave:          OFF
ENABLE_pdl:             OFF
ENABLE_pyqt4:           OFF
ENABLE_pyqt5:           OFF
ENABLE_itcl:            OFF
ENABLE_itk:             OFF
ENABLE_wxwidgets:       OFF

Of these,

ENABLE_pyqt4:           OFF
ENABLE_itcl:            OFF
ENABLE_itk:             OFF
ENABLE_wxwidgets:       OFF

are regressions compared to your successful December test. Likely
these regressions occur for the same reason (a system update for
Cygwin) as in the wxwidgets case.  Please deal with all these
regressions (not just the wxwidgets one) for your next Cygwin test.

By the way, your comprehensive _interactive_ tests of wxwidgets on
Cygwin are not a high priority for us because they can be expected to be slow
(assuming Cygwin has built their wxwidgets package against slow Cygwin
X rather than fast native Windows graphics).  Nevertheless, after you
have completed similar testing on MinGW-w64/MSYS2 and MSVC for fast
native Windows graphics, the corresponding Cygwin test is still a
"would be nice" for this release if you have the time after completing
the other two.  The reason for my interest in the Cygwin case is it
_should_ give the same result as on other POSIX systems such as Linux,
but it "would be nice" to confirm that.

* Build error in the CMake-based build tree for the installed examples

make[3]: *** [c/CMakeFiles/x04c.dir/build.make:104: c/x04c.exe] Error 1

but no accompanying diagnostic error message from gcc itself.

I have not seen that in the tests from yesterday.

Glad there don't appear to be any glitches in any of your
present reports (at least for now, see below).

Which is an indication of something. Something to watch out for.

I absolutely agree.  As I emphasized to you off-list earlier today,
such inconsistent results (i.e., "glitches") are the hallmark of
hardware issues such as overheating or certain of your laptop's memory
modules beginning to go bad.  But it should be straightforward to
clean out dust (to reduce overheating typically by a substantial
amount since dust blocks airflow and insulates chips making it more
difficult for that reduced air flow to cool them) and also run a
memory checker (such as memtest86+
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memtest86>) to detect any memory
modules that need to be replaced.