On 2017-08-03 11:56-0700 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

But assuming (now that both PATH and PKG_CONFIG_PATH are set properly
and you are using an unambiguous make command of the correct form for
MinGW-w64/MSYS2) you can replicate by hand this way, can you replicate
in even a simpler way by running the exact same gcc command that the
make command does?

Hi Arjen:

I saw your further note concerning working on this replication
question over the weekend.  However, there has been a new development
(see below) that will likely lead to the solution of the "Bad address"
issue without you needing to figure out how to replicate the issue by
hand.  So pursuing this replication question further is up to you.  On
the one hand, it will be educational for you, but on the other hand,
it is likely not necessary to solve the original "Bad address" issue.

Here is that new development.  I did a further google search for the
Bad address issue and found (see
<https://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/mailman/message/34476535/>) that Greg
Jung had already covered this ground.  Furthermore, following a
suggestion from the MSYS2 mailing list he discovered the fix which was
to drop the rpath option from the gcc command!

So that is great, but there were no actual details about how he
implemented that, and for unknown reasons a definitive version of that
fix never got into our source tree.  So further analysis follows.

It is clear from

shared/noninteractive/output_tree/traditional_make_noninteractive.out

in your report that gcc does at least accept the options

-Wl,-rpath
-Wl,"D:/plplot-svn/comprehensive_test_disposeable/shared/noninteractive/install_tree/lib"

but the corresponding options from

nondynamic/noninteractive/output_tree/traditional_make_noninteractive.out

for the non-working nondynamic case are

-Wl,-rpath
-Wl,"D:/plplot-svn/comprehensive_test_disposeable/nondynamic/noninteractive/install_tree/lib:/mingw64/lib"

That is, it is extremely likely that last colon delimiter is causing
the "gcc.exe: Bad address" issue.  I can think of many ways to fix
that, but I don't think we should bother, and instead we should simply
follow what Greg did above and what CMake does for our CMake-based
build of the installed examples which is there is no mention of rpath
for all Windows platforms. (You can verify that last statement for
yourself by searching for "rpath" in all the *.out files other than
the "traditional_make_noninteractive.out" files in your recent Cygwin
and MinGW-w64/MSYS2 reports.)

The current status is I am almost done with the implementation of that
fix, but I need to get some sleep before I finish, test, and commit it
(likely by late Friday my time or early Saturday your time).  So
hopefully this fix will give you a chance to complete (including the
diff and Qt install updates) the noninteractive comprehensive testing
of MinGW-w64/MSYS2 this weekend.  And that would be a big step toward
our mutual goal of releasing a well-tested 5.13.0 soon.