On 2017-08-02 07:07-0000 Arjen Markus wrote:

[...]

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan W. Irwin [mailto:ir...@beluga.phys.uvic.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2017 9:57 AM

Using that option [-DNON_TRANSITIVE=ON], the final command is
shorter, but still 1200+ characters. And, more importantly, the result
is the same: a Bad Address.

The -DNON_TRANSITIVE=ON option removes lots of the -L and -l options,
but still leaves lots of -I options (which we treat in a transitive
way only) so we are still stuck with that pretty long (1200+ bytes)
line length.

It's an extremely interesting result, however, that
-DNON_TRANSITIVE=ON appears to work (got just as far into the test
before finding this Bad Address error) as well as
-DNON_TRANSITIVE=OFF.  So once you get completely through the comprehensive
script without issues on MinGW-w64/MSYS2 with -DNON_TRANSITIVE=ON, I
will make -DNON_TRANSITIVE=ON the default on that platform, and the
same with Cygwin.

By the way, when carefully checking the above results, it appears you
do not have either git.exe or diff.exe installed on MinGW-w64/MSYS2.
The git.exe application is needed to help the comprehensive test
script figure out what PLplot commit you are testing (and might also
be generally useful to you).  The diff.exe application is of
more fundamental concern since it is what is used to determine
the important PostScript difference report.

I am not completely sure whether you should install the
"mingw-w64-x86_64" version or the "msys" version of these packages,
but since they are used primarily in a bash environment, I suggest you
try installing the msys versions first to see how they work.  In that
case, the names of the relevant packages are "git" and "diffutils".  I
also mentioned before you were missing the Qt package.  I would try
installing the mingw-w64-x86_64 version of qt4 first since Qt4 is a
higher quality library than Qt5 right now, but if that leads to
conflicts, try the mingw-w64-x86_64 version of qt5 instead.

Meanwhile, assuming the fundamental issue is command-line length, I just
checked,
and all Makefile*.in files in our source tree contain the following line:

SHELL = @SH_EXECUTABLE@

and for your MinGW-w64/MSYS2 case

# Check for all POSIX tool commands that have been found from the MSYS2 side
irwin@raven> find . -name CMakeCache.txt |xargs grep 'usr/bin'
./shared/noninteractive/build_tree/CMakeCache.txt:CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM:FI
LEPATH=D:/mingw64/usr/bin/make.exe

But I did notice that one possible issue is you simply used "make" for your
comprehensive test.

What does "which make" give you for that platform?  Does it refer to that above
D:/mingw64/usr/bin/make.exe POSIX version or something else?

'which make' gives the answer "/usr/bin/make", but that it is the very same
file as
"D:/mingw64/usr/bin/make.exe". I further checked: there is only a single
make.exe in the installation.

OK

But assuming that is not the issue, my working hypothesis is this command-line
length limitation is a MinGW-w64/MSYS2 bug since it does not appear to be an
issue for Cygwin's version of the POSIX make command.

To investigate that hypothesis further, please take a look at the extremely
simple
attached Makefile test case I have created.

I did not have time yet to perform this test. Hopefully today sometime.

I look forward to the results from those simple tests which should be
quite informative.