Hi Alan,

See below.

No, half a working day :).

> [out of order]
> > I noticed that the MinGW-w64/MSYS2 installation that I used
> does not have the diff or cmp command, so a comparison is missing.
> [...] I will add diff later (and check the other components that are not
> accepted right
> now).
>
> I am really pleased that you are planning to do get rid of this (and other,
> see below)
> platform deficiencies by making this important update of your MinGW-w64/MSYS2
> platform before you do any more PLplot testing on this platform.
>
> There is one important caveat you should keep in mind about this platform
> update.
> My judgement from listening to complaints for a long time on the MSYS2 list
> is a
> given snapshot of this platform is not always in a self-consistent or even
> working
> state from one day to the next.  So most days seem to be OK, but sometimes
> not.
> So to make yourself fairly immune to that uncertainty I suggest you attempt no
> additional package installs of any kind for your present platform.
> Instead, you should install a completely new version of
> MinGW-w64/MSYS2 from scratch using a unique installation prefix so you can go
> back to your current working but somewhat limited version of this platform if
> the
> new snapshot of MinGW-w64/MSYS2 does not work.
> Of course that new install should be automated as much as possible with a
> script to
> make it trivially easy for you to do further installs of MinGW-w64/MSYS2 from
> scratch as needed, i.e., one or two days later if that new version does not
> work for
> today's snapshot.
>
> That installation script should include a well-maintained list of packages
> that are
> needed for PLplot testing (and general full use of PLplot on this platform by
> users).
> That list of packages should include the ones you currently have installed
> plus "git"
> and "diffutils" (where the lack of prefix on these package names means you
> will be
> installing from the "msys" repository of MinGW-w64/MSYS2), and either "mingw-
> w64-x86_64-qt4" (preferably if your package installation allows that without
> conflicts
> since Qt4 is a more reliable library than Qt5 right now) or
> "mingw-w64-x86_64-qt5".

I checked the list of packages for "git", but there is nothing obvious that
will bring git into the mix. According to Google hits, you should simply
install git for Windows.

I have Qt4 now in the installation, but not pyqt4 due to the lack of "SIP" for
this platform. The information on SIP for MinGW-w64 is a trifle convoluted.
That is for later.

> All three package installs are important. The git package needs to be
> installed so
> that the comprehensive test script can figure out what git commit you are
> testing for
> PLplot.  The diffutils package needs to be installed to supply the
> all-important
> diff.exe executable (as you independently discovered above).  And qt4 (or qt5)
> needs to be installed so you can test on this platform our qt device driver
> which is
> potentially a source of many high-quality noninteractive devices on this
> platform (as
> well as one important high-quality interactive device, qtwidget, that you
> might wish
> to test post-release as a basis of comparison with other interactive devices
> on this
> platform).
>
> So I am very much looking forward to your noninteractive test report for your
> latest
> snapshot of MinGW-w64/MSYS2 with git.exe, diff.exe, and some version of the Qt
> suite of libraries all installed because that will finally make the level of
> your testing
> on this platform consistent with Greg Jung's level of testing two years ago.
> Furthermore, because Greg reported successful testing with both diff and Qt,
> I am
> fairly confident that the addition of diff and Qt by you will reveal no new
> issues.
> However, we will see about that since both
> MinGW-w64/MSYS2 and PLplot have changed a lot in the last couple of years.

Right. Running it today.

DISCLAIMER: This message is intended exclusively for the addressee(s) and may
contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient please notify the sender immediately and destroy this message.
Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
The foundation 'Stichting Deltares', which has its seat at Delft, The
Netherlands, Commercial Registration Number 41146461, is not liable in any way
whatsoever for consequences and/or damages resulting from the improper,
incomplete and untimely dispatch, receipt and/or content of this e-mail.