Hi Sergey, Alan,

Last night, I had a closer look at what was going on and it turned out that the
variables FloatStartDate and FloatStoptDate (there seems to be one "t" too many
in there ;)) got values that were outside the range of the data in the input
file. I used "2018-10-08 00:00:00.110 2018-10-17 00:00:00.129" as the relevant
arguments - as from the example, but it may be that on the Cygwin platform I
used the times are converted differently. This explains the error message I
got: there were no data on which to base the extremes.

> To Arjen and Sergey:
>
> I have done that close check for the current tip of the master branch (which
> is going
> to be changed only in a minimal way when the 5.14.0 release is completed).
> And
> all is well with our plhist call there, i.e., it produces the expected
> non-empty
> histogram.
>
> @Sergey:
>
> I suggest you look closely at standard example 5 (the only one that uses
> plhist).  If
> you build it and also some device, then
>
> examples/c/x05c -dev <some_device>
>
> just works correctly for my Debian Buster platform.  That is, it shows the
> desired
> histogram, i.e., exactly the same rendered results as can be seen at
> <http://plplot.org/examples.php?demo=05>.
>
> Do you get that same histogram result if you replace your code with that from
> standard example 5?  If so, then the next obvious question is what changes you
> have made from that good plhist call in standard example 5 to the call in
> your own
> code that is causing an empty histogram for you.

When I had corrected the immediate problem by setting the two variables to more
reasonable values, I got a nice xy-plot and an empty histogram. Then I looked
at the implementation of plhist() - and realised that it is meant to plot a
distribution of the data. The data that are passed should match the x-axis, in
this case the times, and the minimum and maximum on which to base the bins
should match the x-axis as well. However, the code as I have been using it from
the tarfile, passes the y-values (FloatData) and the minimum and maximum times.

So I changed the argument to FloatDate instead. The plot is still empty though,
the 22 data points do not show up in any way. At least this gives us a starting
point to analyse the problem.

Regards,

Arjen
DISCLAIMER: This message is intended exclusively for the addressee(s) and may
contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient please notify the sender immediately and destroy this message.
Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
The foundation 'Stichting Deltares', which has its seat at Delft, The
Netherlands, Commercial Registration Number 41146461, is not liable in any way
whatsoever for consequences and/or damages resulting from the improper,
incomplete and untimely dispatch, receipt and/or content of this e-mail.