The file you are looking at under edit using the notepad is an html file.
Either you will need to learn some html (not very hard, but the syntax is
very specific) or use a product like Frontpage to edit this file.  When you
choose the hotsync option it will use this page to fetch your web pages
from the internet, convert them, and send them to a special directory from
which they get installed on your Palm at the next hotsync.  I agree there's
a lot of stuff that should be hidden from users, but it's still a
development effort.  Perhaps you could list the things that you'd rather
not see so we can work on them?

The html file you edit needs to contain the pages you want to see (actually
links to them).  They should be of the form:

stayonhost>Slashdot</a></p>

Where the link is inside the href="" stuff.  That's the link on your
address bar when you are browsing the web.  The Slashdot near the end is
what you will see on the Palm.  maxdepth just means only go this deep (4
links) from the page you link to.  Generally this should be 2 or 3.  The
higher the number, the more pages will be captured.  Plucker will follow
all the links it sees on the initial page to a maximum of this number.
stayonhost means when a link would take you off the site
(http://www.slashdot.org/ in my example), don't follow it.  This way you
tend to avoid ads and things like that.

I would start with a simple link first.  You can cut & copy my link above
and make changes to it.  You can delete everything else in the html page
that comes up when you select edit on the menu.  It's just a default page.
Add a line similar to mine above for each page you want to capture (or each
site really).  Set the maxdepth at 2 for now and see how it comes out on
the Palm.

Feel free to email the group with further questions.

Bill

                                         To:     "'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'"

                    Alonso               <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                    Roseley              cc:     (bcc: Bill Nalen/Towers Perrin)

                    <ARoseley@big        Subject:     This Program....

                    snyc.org>

                    08/23/2001

                    10:36 AM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    Plucker

                    Development

                    List

First of all this whole program seems to be written for some rocket
scientist or something! How in gods name am I suppose to work this program!
There's so much junk that you have to do. I have Windows ME that mean that
am suppose to download the version for windows. You also have a new
installer release 1.1.11SR1 now you have 1.1.12. I used the first one and
there is no way in hell I can understand all those symbols and letters.
When
I go into plucker from startup and open edit db and setup, I get a notepad
full of mumbo jumbo. What is this. please tell me. All I wanted was to get
program that takes files from off the web and transfer it into my handheld.
But this program is not simple. Not everyone can use it. Even the
instructions are hard because half the terms I have no idea what they mean
(ex.) maxdepth, parsar, python, html, href=, anchor, I have no clue what
this stuff means nor where to find them. I don't even know if I have all
the
necessary tools and programs. What do I need besides the installer for
windows? Do I need python, I see it in the startup with the plucker program
but its just the website and "all about python". For some reason though
when
I hotsynced my handheld, my handheld has the plucker home page on it. It
wasn't there before. This is cool even though I have no idea how it got
there. The only bad thing is that the links don't work and the images are
crappy. Your programs seems to be great to have but you need to make it
simple for people who are not as familiar with computers as you guys are.
Please please help me to get this program working, I would really
appreciate
it. I currently have a visor deluxe with os 3.1H2
Thanks
 -Handheld User-