> > There is an "excuses" or "reasons" file or similar which you can check to
> > find out.
> MJ, can you please provide a URL for that file, so we could check on
> the reason?

I'll look it up and get back to you.  In theory, it should be readily
available on the Debian site... in practice, as the "testing" branch is a
relatively new development, it might not be.

> But my point was that Python 2.x for Debian is available.

Depends how you define "available".  There exists a debian package in the
bleeding-edge development branch, but you can't just install it on a system
running the current debian release.  I don't think that's available to most
users.

As to the "I compile things from source" people: well, that's fine and I
used to do that myself, as an ex-slackware user, but I now value my system's
integrity, so even if I compile it myself, it gets made into a package
before it gets allowed into /usr.

MJR