> I have been acting as unofficial list moderator for a few weeks now using
> the new facilities provided by mailman. I've got no problem with doing
> this (actually I like the job, mostly) and I normally go through the list
> of pending requests every weeknight.

        I use Mailman also for the pilot-link lists and the pilot-unix
lists, as well as for some others, and I've yet to have to step in as
moderator for most messages. This is a job best left to Mailman itself.

        You set the list(s) to subscriber-post only, and let Mailman handle
the rest. No spam, and when someone posts that is not on the list, you can
just click the button and pass it through, or bounce it back to the sender
with a gentle note telling them to subscribe. Out of about 700 list
subscribers in my case, I probably get 1 of those a week that requires my
direct attention.

> I just wanted to let people know how I'm treating postings.

        One of my posts to plucker-announce got eaten last week, but I'm not
worried, you're doing a bang-up job so far. Thanks for supplying the lists
for us these past 4+ years.

> I always ignore spam.

        I've had great success with the combination of spamassassin +
spamass-milter (libmilter plugin for sendmail), and some custom spam rules,
as well as using ordb.org to bounce those from open relays. All spam gets
redirected to a single SPAM folder on the server before a single user sees
it, and I go in there once a week and just "iptables -j DROP" the offending
spammer's IP from ever being able to connect again. Works like a champ so
far.

> if someone who is unsubbed seems to be posting a lot I will ask them to
> subscribe, mostly because I am lazy.

        Why not just make the to main lists, subscriber-only. There's no
reason not to, and in fact, it's justified by the fact that it thwarts spam
immediately. Users will understand.. they all have in my case.

> The reason I'm posting this is so that you can make objections to what I'm
> letting through/not letting through.

        No objections thus far, but then again, we don't know the content of
the messages you're _not_ letting through =) Everything thus far seems
relevant.

> Alternatively you might, for whatever reason, want to depose me from my
> role and that's fine too, but I'm happy to continue with the job, as my
> little contribution to the project, for as long as you want me to.

        No deposition required. Keep up the great work.

d.

perldoc -qa.j | perl -lpe '($_)=m("(.*)")'