> For JDK >= 1.2 I would want it in $(JAVAHOME)/jre/lib/ext.  That usually
> makes it available without having to add it the classpath.  I'm not sure
> about it being available for the java -jar command though.

My JAVAHOME (MacOS X 10.2, Java 1.3.1) doesn't have a jre
subdirectory.  In fact, there are no "jre" directories anywhere on the
machine.  However, JAVAHOME/lib/ext/ does exist, and contains a number
of jar files.  Would this be an equivalent spot?

I notice that System.getProperty("java.home") on Solaris returns the
jre subdirectory, so that JAVAHOME/lib/ext/ would in fact be a good
spot.

Bill