I think a more interesting question is … what implications does this have on
the (silly) legislation proposed that would make it illegal to tamper with
device firmware?

(The intent behind the legislation appears somewhat vague, but generally tied
to legitimate security concerns.)

This would seem to fly in the face of that legislation, since they seem to be
moving towards, as they call it, a Software Defined Architecture that’s enabled
by reprogramming the ASICs (?) on the switches.

I can see reprogramming the EEPROM, but ASICS? Or is it the same thing?

-David "The Tool Wiz" Schwartz