Task manager and/or Resource Manager should show you where your bottlenecks
lie, but sounds like either disk (spinner vs ssd), memory, or cpu is
getting pegged.  This should show you what processes are using said
cpu/memory/io, either kill them, or feed them more hardware resources.  The
sysinternals tools like process explorer and such are also helpful in
seeing applications and/or system processes freaking out, including more
hidden ones.

If still a spinner disk, the best thing you could do is get her any SSD to
run the OS and primary apps on alone.

Could be windoze is just trashed after a while with applications coming and
going, upgrading, breaking stuff, etc.  Might be worth trying a clean
restore of the system and/or wiping the disks with zero's to reset state
ala fragmentation or if ssd, needing a reset with secure erase.

-mb