On 2023-07-13 18:38, Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss wrote:
Ok, Thanks!!  I have an HP laptop running Win 10 Pro that I use to
make
videos.  It has 8GB of ram and an m.2.  It is about 6 years old.  It
is
 > using 41% of RAM... Yikes!!

I really have to wonder how the browsers work like that with so little
ram, they will tend to use as much or as little as you have, and
aren't shy about having their way with pagefiles if not.

I say this as with 128gb of ram, under linux (any) it's not uncommon
to see firefox and worse chrome when I'm busy with multiple customers
and browser profiles using 30-40gb of said ram.  I use a lot of
windows/tabs, I run for weeks or months between session restarts, and
various research professional or otherwise, I'll open dozens of tabs
on each easily.  To hear people use 4-8gb seems crazy to me.  My
system lets me know, and used to with *only* 64gb that "hey arsehole,
you need to upgrade!" with OOM's.

You are on the extreme. On my laptop I may have one browser open with 2 - 4 tabs max. Add to that video edition software.

My wife uses one browser and I am not sure she knows about tabs.. maybe, if so she might have 2 to 4 tabs open at any given time.

My wife could get by with a netbook.

Never hurts to earn some points.  Maybe a special dessert for your
consideration.

I get it....

Next go around I'm going to build anything I need except laptops.
Before 2005 I built everything.

Best desktop-ish I've had for a while now is a factory-built Dell
Precision T7910, dual xeon cpu, 128gb of ram, super silent, I use it
for proxmox now vs actual desktop, but used to.

I like Proxmox and think it would be cool to configure it like you are.

Not sure I'd build my
own vs. buy good bones and augment like I did this with good
ram/disks.  I've long used Dell Latitude, XPS, Precision, and as long
as you get good models, they're tight and work forever.  Get the cheap
Inspirons or others, you get what you pay for.

I'll bet your laptop cost a few grand.

If you want a laptop to "build" (or enhance), look at Framework, their
13" and soon 16" are pretty sweet, built to be serviceable/upgradable,
and will probably be my next purchase once the 16" is out.  My Lenovo
Thinkpad is pretty good hardware at the core, but things like their
TB4 dock and even their jank website annoy the hell out of me.  It
doesn't even work in firefox under linux.

I figure I will not upgrade for several more years. I think things will change a lot. When I upgrade I want something(s) with lots of cores/threads and lots of RAM so I can have lots of options like Proxmox running multiple different things all at once.

I'm interested in the Rasberry PI also... would be interesting to build a home web server on multiple PIs.

Keith

-mb