I’ve worked at plenty of places that are more like what you’re saying about FB,
but they weren’t working on ISO 900x and CMMI certifications.

I was simply reflecting on the fact that we’ve got a lot of national
Headquarters for companies here in the Phoenix area that ARE working on these
certifications, and this has a certain depressing effect on wages when their
goal is to make people in the same roles interchangeable. That’s what these
efforts are all about — minimizing risk and reducing costs.

They’re turning programming into a far less creative endeavor. That requires a
more mechanized approach and less variability among workers.

Maintenance programmers are simply required to take a bug ticket submitted with
a documented way to reproduce the error and fix it without altering any other
code.

-David Schwartz