How in god's name did we go from trying to remedy an Oracle issue, to
recommending avoiding databases?
Unless your either A) an ad-hoc programmer/designer, or B) a very
small shop, you're going to go the route of professional design which
separates code logic from DB logic.

Added complexities in design to the point of absurdity to save the
company a thousand or so dollars just adds to future issues.

On Dec 13, 2007 9:00 AM,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Quoting Mike Garfias <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> I second this.  Here's a few ideas from my experiences.
>
> - Whatever code you use to make a database connection should know how
> to select from one of many servers.  The logic you use to make the
> decision isn't important yet, since you're starting with just 1
> server.  Just leave yourself a hook so that if you grow to multiple
> boxes, you won't have a major refactoring to do.  Lots of web apps
> (especially ones that started as small open-source projects) are built
> around the assumption that the database is a single box, and breaking
> that assumption can be a huge pain once its in place.
>
> - Notice chunks of your code that do read-only queries.  These could
> be offloaded to read-only database slaves.  At least with MySQL,
> that's a very cheap and easy way to scale read traffic.  MySQL
> replication is efficient and reliable.
>
> - Scaling write traffic is a lot harder.  The 'sharding' approach
> mentioned earlier in this thread is the one that makes the most sense
> to me.  Again, make sure your code is written so that, when the time
> comes, it is easy to select from one of many servers.
>
> - Don't use the database if you don't have to.  Make use of a caching
> layer to save as much database traffic as possible.  The MySQL query
> cache is a very easy way to do this, but something like memcache is
> even better since you can move traffic completely away from the DB
> server and towards other boxes.  The memcache architecture is
> distributed by design, so it's easy to build a very large cache out of
> lots of cheap boxes.  http://www.danga.com/memcached/
>
> - Write good SQL.  No amount of server-side tweaking will save you
> from badly written queries.
>
> - Monitor your performance from the beginning.  Figure out ahead of
> time what the trouble signs might be that you're outgrowing your
> current resources.  You don't want the first sign of trouble to be the
> fact that your app is crashing/offline.  Ganglia is one way to do
> this, and I think works pretty well.
> http://ganglia.sourceforge.net/  If you try this out and want some
> mysql or apache specific ideas about what to monitor, let me know.
>
> I hope that helps.
>
> alex

Thanks,
Dan Lund

"This day we rescue a world from mysticism and tyranny, and usher in a
future brighter than anything we can imagine."