On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 19:27 -0700, Michael Havens wrote:
> website development seems like the only thing I would want to do so
> Ruby it is! Unfortunately, it isn't on my Ubuntuu install. When  I
> tried to start it it told me to apt-get it. No internet connection.
----
true but any programming efforts really need to be connected to the
Internet anyway because you are going to want to google search, take
sample bits of demo programs and save them and then run them and if you
are trying to research with one computer that is connected to the
Internet but learn on another computer that isn't, you will massively
handicap your efforts.

In the case of ruby, you can get the language installed but then if you
want the rails framework, you would again need Internet connectivity to
install the rails gem (and the dependencies). Even worse, it's really
tough to learn Ruby on Rails from a book because development on the Ruby
on Rails framework has been rapidly changing, rendering most books
somewhat out of date by the time they reach dead tree form.

You need to spend some energy getting your computers all on the Internet
connection first.

Craig

believed to be clean.