Make that two votes. (especially for math/science geeks) Notice: first programming language. Having picked up the basics, you can then go on in whatever language seems best for the area you're working (or want to be working) in. Plan on learning at least a half-dozen or a dozen languages during your career.

Mark Jarvis

Eric Cope wrote:
One vote for Fortran!

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Alan Dayley <ala...@consultpros.com> wrote:
On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 8:36 PM, Vaughn Treude <vltre...@deru.com> wrote:
> On 02/20/2010 08:01 PM, keith smith wrote:
>> I'm old school and would suggest learning plain old C.  Then you can branch out to other languages.
>>
>> ------------------------
>> Keith Smith
>
> I second that. C is simple and versatile, and spawned off a whole family
> of other language such as C++ and Java.
> Vaughn Treude

I would not describe C as simple.  It is a small language (low number
of reserved words and operators) but it's highly versatile nature and
closeness to the hardware makes it very capable and dangerous.  And so
not simple, in my mind.

It has been my bread and butter for 20+ years so I do love it.

Alan

Eric Cope
http://cope-et-al.com