On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 11:13 PM, Craig White <craigwh...@azapple.com>wrote:

> Then of course, you can simply open an irb and test out a section of
> code without having to deal with a web browser, apache etc.

Then there is the real hidden gem of Rails... the Rails console.  You can
call an IRB shell from your rails environment that will automatically load
all your data objects from your project automatically.  AWESOME!

And then lets not forget rake!  I have never seen an environment that allows
you to develop in flat files, test in MySQL/Postgres, then deploy in
Oracle.  I have seen promises of it, but never seen it work outside of
Rails.

I find myself manipulating data in a db using the irb console rather
> than phpmyadmin or mysql shell because it is so much easier to
> loop/iterate/replace/save.

You jerk, you know I am now going to have to waste half a day playing with
this idea. ha ha.  Never thought of doing that!

Kevin