From: Lyle Tuttle <l.tut...@cox.net>
Subject: (OT)Re: ditching Apple products due to boycotts?
To: "Main PLUG discussion list" <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
Date: Sunday, May 16, 2010, 3:10 PM

At 01:23 PM 5/16/2010, you wrote:

On 5/16/10 12:54 PM, Joshua
Zeidner wrote:

Hello PLUG,

   I am wondering if anyone is switching off Apple products due
to the

recent Los Angeles boycott of Arizona:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/05/12/20100512los-angeles-boycott-vote-over-arizona-immigration-law12-ON.html

<
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/05/12/20100512los-angeles-boycott-vote-over-arizona-immigration-law12-ON.html
>  Hopefully

they will choose Linux.

What does any of this have to do with Apple?

Californians are ignorant of their own laws on this matter anyway -- here
is a comparison....and it makes SB 1070 look very, very
good...<G>

CALIFORNIA'S IMMIGRATION LAW VERY
SIMILAR TO SB 1070

CA Cities Can Now Boycott Each Other

California's penal code section 834b requires, not merely permits,
law enforcement to attempt to verify the immigration status of people who
are suspected of being in the US illegally.

But there are basic differences.

The California law requires verification of immigration status when a
person has been arrested. Under section 834 of the Calif. Penal Code,
that means when a person has been taken into custody. Arizona requires
verification when there has been "any lawful stop, detention, or
arrest." Note that HB2162, the amendments to the original Arizona
law, inserted "any lawful stop, detention or arrest" in place
of "contact .Arizona requires verification when there is
"reasonable suspicion" that the person being stopped,
detained,or arrested might be in the US illegally. California does not
require "reasonable" suspicion. Verification is required only
if it is "suspected" that the person is in the US
illegally.

But one difference stands out. Nothing in the California Penal Code
Section 834b prohibits police from basing their decision on a person's
race or ethnicity the way HB2162 explicitly prohibits Arizona police from
considering "race, color, or national origin" when carrying out
their duties "except to the extent permitted by the United States or
Arizona Constitution." Again, Arizona's SB1070 prohibited police
from solely basing their actions on "race, color or national
origin." HB2162 deleted the word "solely," which means
that the police cannot consider these factors at all unless it is
permitted by the US and Arizona Constitutions.

Apparently some Californians haven't noticed they live in a glass house.
It's time they stop throwing stones at Arizona.

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----